This was brought to my attention recently so there comes a much needed post.
Life in America is built on cars. I am not saying that is good, having lived in Europe for many years I still have a tough time adjusting it, however public transportation here is not sufficient at all.
When you are a student your life is basically school, library, home…and in most cases you barely leave the campus and when you do there are shuttles, Uber, friends…
It is extremely important that you get your US license as soon as you get your social security number (required for getting a license) you should apply to get your local driver’s license.Let me tell you why:
1) Your international drivers license is valid for up to 1 year from the day you enter the country. If your school is over a year long you will need a license.
2) Getting a license takes time! It is not immediate and you may need it for internships, interviews and jobs. It often takes months to pass the tests and get your license which will impact your life.
3) Life out of campus depends on having a car in most areas. Not being able drive will restrict your options in terms of work locations, housing and even social life.
4) Having a license for longer time lowers your insurance rates.
5) You can use your license in lieu of passport for domestic travel.
6) Your license is used as your ID as well which is the safest type of identification.
So please make sure you apply to get your license as soon as possible, especially if you plan to work on CPT or OPT. It is not a big investment and it is definitely worth it.
And of course always obey the rules of the road and never ever drink and drive and text! Learn about the local traffic regulations and always pay any fines immediately.
Check out for more details: